Thursday 5 June 2014

eats at La Bodega Negra


This week I sampled the Mexican delights of La Bodega Negra in London's Soho. The faux sex shop exterior may fool the unsuspecting diner and I found a group of confused people outside when I arrived. The gaudy facade isn't out of place in an area known (and loved) for the seeder side of life but it's definitely eye catching.



A Mexican restaurant with a speakeasy vibe? Where do I sign up, right? 

My high expectations took a knock when I walked into a dark corridor to face a leather clad mannequin. My disappointment wasn't caused by the plastic greeting but rather by the enveloping darkness. I'd unwittingly entered another trendy (did you really just use that word, how old are you?) restaurant that embraces the eating-in-darkness-style of dining. Call me old fashioned but I like some light when I eat, crazy, I know. 


I soon got over my aversion when my eyes grew accustomed to the dim light and I began to appreciate the strange and beautiful surroundings. We were seated in a cardboard wonderland with felt-tip houses and strange Mexican inhabitants.

The atmosphere was pretty special and only slightly marred by the later influx of rowdy tequila drinkers. Our waitress was super friendly, not that common in London, so I was more than pleased when I sat down to consider the menu. I can't say the food was anything to write home about, or blog about for that matter, which was a major disappointment. The menu was too expensive for the quality (and size) delivered and quite restrictive for me and any fellow vegetarians.


Overall, I'd recommend La Bodega Negra as a stylish location for a pre-dinner drink before moving onto somewhere with more substance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment